What do you remember about your first day in your current home?

Centipedes! The prior owner had to have the sewer lines replaced after a failed housing inspection. The house had been dug up around the foundation right before closing. For some reason, this work led to way too many centipedes in the house. I’ve never noticed them in the house since and we’ve been here 27 years now.

Walking through at the end of the first day and locking all the doors -- basement, garage, back, front -- and thinking, "This is ours. We own this."

I remember It's all mine and suits my needs I'll never get married again.
Years later, met a wonderful Swiss girl,,, I'm married with a house full of kids.

How big and empty it was. It is a 4 bedroom with 2.5 baths, breakfast room, dining room, living room, den, two bonus rooms, and a fully finished attic. Place is huge.

Tired....drove all night. Had a traumatic and time consuming occurrence to add to that.
Being in the house was good. Lots of DS's friend unloading the UHaul DH had driven.
Hot....going from WA to AZ in August

We just moved in this past November and I don't remember much other than being irritated that they left 2 overflowing trash cans and about 20 bags of trash on the ground next to them. The trash folks wouldn't pick up the stuff on the ground and it took about 3 weeks to finally get all the trash out.

Walking through at the end of the first day and locking all the doors -- basement, garage, back, front -- and thinking, "This is ours. We own this."
We downsized, which isn't nearly as exciting. But the good thing about this house is that we paid cash, mostly from the profit of our last house, so there is that.

It was July 2022 in Florida so HOT!!! That's my biggest take away. It was so hot and we got our pod delivered and had doors open as we unloaded it. So the house wouldn't cool down and I thought maybe the new AC wasn't working and called the builder. It eventually did cool, just took a while in FL July heat.

Also remember the POds guy having trouble dropping our small pod off as there is a median in front of our house and our next door neighbors were getting a patio built and had all the materials and equipment and a truck parked out in front making it tougher. The Pod guy almost left and took our Pod back to the storage facility. Took him a while to get it done and meanwhile folks were trying to drive past and couldn't and were hand wringing and shooting us looks...new neighbors. So, nice welcome to the hood.

ETA: was our 10th (main home) move since our 1st apartment together in 1996. And, hopefully, the last!!!

Last edited:
Former owners moved out by 3. We moved in at 4 with sleeping bags, towels and a coffee maker. Our furniture arrived 4 days later.

We had allowed the former owners to stay in the house while their new house was built. DH and I lived with our parents for a few months and we couldn't wait to be in our own place, together.

I remember how spotless it was! Everything was clean and tidy. Even left a few small plants in the kitchen window for me. It was a good feeling that we didn't have to clean before we stated moving in!

First, being relived that our dogs seemed absolutely unfazed moving to the new house. That was a great feeling.

Second, being relived we hired 2 crews of movers to help us move. 1 crewed worked with my husband to move the house, I worked with the second crew to empty our storage unit and pick-up additional furniture from my parents home. They were downsizing and the timing worked out great. The movers were done and gone before 2:00 PM and we started to settle in without being absolutely exhausted.

:lovestruc

Hearing mice pattering around the first night. :eek:

We live out in the country and the owners moved out the week before and a family of mice moved in. I bought a bunch of traps the next day, the following night I woke up several times to snapping noises. Disposed of the carnage the next day, it took three nights to completely clear out the place.

I remember the excitement of moving in, the scent of fresh paint, boxes everywhere, and the satisfaction of setting up my cozy space, making it feel like home.

I moved into my apartment building on the day before the Covid shutdown happened. I didn't have much time to think about it while I was moving in but had a whole lot of time after to contemplate the situation. It was a fairly good overall experience, but I don't think I saw another person for almost a year and that was in a 100+ apartments building.

it was a Monday
Our 2-1/2 year old daughter broke her collarbone. Fun part was trying to figure out what was making her cry when they aren't able to verbalize what happened, etc. We later learned from siblings that she was playing on sofa and jumped or fell off.

I don't remember anything signinficant about day 1 first moving in, but we moved to the garage for a year while we re-modeled. We added a 2nd floor. When we finally moved in to the remodeled house, DW and I were just getting settled in to our new upstairs bedroom when she said, " I don't like it".

Me: "What don't you like about it?"

DW: "It's too big - I can't tell what is going on downstairs"

Me: "Do you want to move back in the garage?"

(several seconds)

DW: "No, that's OK"

We are pretty comfortable there now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter