The Updated and All-Inclusive Costume Thread

It looks to me like he's cutting the wig into hair extension pieces, then applying them to the form. FWIW, when I made DH's Hades hair out of a blue troll wig, we painted on bleach and glitter in key spots and it worked great. Not the realistic, lit effect you're going for but if you want easier "hair" texture to work with, it might be a place to start.

Last edited:
First disney race, participating with the family. Finishing up the mr & my costumes for the upcoming Neverland 5K. We will be the twins, raccoons.

the tails have been a challenge for me piecing together fake fur. Somebody mentioned that Disney Run guidelines say nothing below the waist. Initial panic mode. Then, I read it thru and believe that only applies to capes, or not?

Tales will slip onto back of running belts, approx 20 inches in length. Have them stuffed full, perhaps should go with more of a flat look?

Any thots on whether we should pass muster?

First disney race, participating with the family. Finishing up the mr & my costumes for the upcoming Neverland 5K. We will be the twins, raccoons.

the tails have been a challenge for me piecing together fake fur. Somebody mentioned that Disney Run guidelines say nothing below the waist. Initial panic mode. Then, I read it thru and believe that only applies to capes, or not?

Tales will slip onto back of running belts, approx 20 inches in length. Have them stuffed full, perhaps should go with more of a flat look?

What a cute idea!! My opinion (as someone who is not a CM in charge of enforcing the rules) is that as long as it isn't sticking out behind you or rigid (like with metal in in to give it shape) you'll be fine.

I think the cape rule is in place because they billow out so much when you're running, and if you think about a Maleficent cape, as an example, that could be huge and a hazard to others AND the person wearing it.

My opinion (as someone who is not a CM in charge of enforcing the rules) is that as long as it isn't sticking out behind you or rigid (like with metal in in to give it shape) you'll be fine.
That’s what I was thinking. It basically just flops down & hangs there for lack of a better term. Did a loop sort of attachment to slip on the belts.

I remember seeing a video of a man in a full blown Ursula costume with tentacles running in Epcot. Extremely well done, however, no idea how he could move in it.

I wore a stuffed tail for the Princess 10k and nobody said a word to me about it. It was a chameleon tail (I was Pascal).

And there was a group "trash panda" costume recently and they all had tails. So you're probably fine.

What a cute idea!! My opinion (as someone who is not a CM in charge of enforcing the rules) is that as long as it isn't sticking out behind you or rigid (like with metal in in to give it shape) you'll be fine.

I think the cape rule is in place because they billow out so much when you're running, and if you think about a Maleficent cape, as an example, that could be huge and a hazard to others AND the person wearing it.
no-capes-edna.gif

I've worn mouse tails and chipmunk tails in rD races that sound a lot like this and have never had an issue. You'll be fine.

Reviving this thread because I'm starting to think about Wine and Dine costumes. I was to try to incorporate a tutu for the first time, but I'm too cheap to buy some of the options available online.

Does anyone know of any good sewing patterns/tutorials for sewing tutus?

Reviving this thread because I'm starting to think about Wine and Dine costumes. I was to try to incorporate a tutu for the first time, but I'm too cheap to buy some of the options available online.

Does anyone know of any good sewing patterns/tutorials for sewing tutus?
Someone made their own Kevin tutu for Springtime Surprise. I think it was @flav ?

So plans for Wine and Dine, and I'm 100% open to suggestions, since I'm not the most creative.

5k - my son wants to dress up as Chef Linguini, with a chef's hat, and Remy "hidden" in the hat. I'll likely make my husband and I into chefs as well, to continue the theme. This should be easy enough. Since I like making things difficult for myself, I'll sew the chef's jackets in athelic fabric and hat myself. We already have a Remy stuffie at home, so I'll just need to figure out how to attach it to a headband, and then add lights in the hat so you can see Remy in there.

10k - Tiana in her palace dress, which is also what she's wearing in the race artwork.
1718042707018.png

Half - chef Mickey. Either inspired by the challenge artwork, or by his Chef Mickey's outfit. I'm not sure about running with an apron though, and the Chef Mickey's outfit isn't really wowing me in what I could do. So maybe Minnie's outfit from Chef Mickey's instead?
1718043081949.png1718043188284.png1718043265690.png

The tops are easy. Where I'm branching out are the bottoms.
Usually I'd just make a skort with Disney themes fabric, but I want to try a tutu for this weekend. After thinking about it for a bit, I think I'd be better off making one tulle petticoat that I can wear both days, and a circle skirt to go overtop. The good thing about the circle skirt is I'm not stuck having to use athletic fabrics, which can be difficult to find in different patterns. The only thing I'd have to try out is if having 3 different layers on (shorts, petticoat, circle skirt) would be annoying for the half.

That’s what I was thinking. It basically just flops down & hangs there for lack of a better term. Did a loop sort of attachment to slip on the belts.

I remember seeing a video of a man in a full blown Ursula costume with tentacles running in Epcot. Extremely well done, however, no idea how he could move in it.
I either saw the same guy, or one dressed similarly. I could see that maybe for a 5K, but for anything longer?! No way.

As for the racoon tails: I would not anticipate race control having any issues with them.

So plans for Wine and Dine, and I'm 100% open to suggestions, since I'm not the most creative.

5k - my son wants to dress up as Chef Linguini, with a chef's hat, and Remy "hidden" in the hat. I'll likely make my husband and I into chefs as well, to continue the theme. This should be easy enough. Since I like making things difficult for myself, I'll sew the chef's jackets in athelic fabric and hat myself. We already have a Remy stuffie at home, so I'll just need to figure out how to attach it to a headband, and then add lights in the hat so you can see Remy in there.

10k - Tiana in her palace dress, which is also what she's wearing in the race artwork.
View attachment 867303

Half - chef Mickey. Either inspired by the challenge artwork, or by his Chef Mickey's outfit. I'm not sure about running with an apron though, and the Chef Mickey's outfit isn't really wowing me in what I could do. So maybe Minnie's outfit from Chef Mickey's instead?
View attachment 867308View attachment 867309View attachment 867310

The tops are easy. Where I'm branching out are the bottoms.
Usually I'd just make a skort with Disney themes fabric, but I want to try a tutu for this weekend. After thinking about it for a bit, I think I'd be better off making one tulle petticoat that I can wear both days, and a circle skirt to go overtop. The good thing about the circle skirt is I'm not stuck having to use athletic fabrics, which can be difficult to find in different patterns. The only thing I'd have to try out is if having 3 different layers on (shorts, petticoat, circle skirt) would be annoying for the half.
For Tiana, the easiest solution is one of the Tiana princess costumes available online; they have various ranges of price and fanciness. Get one, lop it off at or above the knees, and it can be about as elaborate as you want above the waist since there isn't a cape.
For Chef Minnie, the petticoat with layers idea works. Layer on the checkerboard and white skirt(s) and add a white running top, maybe one with the bandanna/neckerchief printed on it, or not. Add a chef's hat and viola.
As for the shorts/petticoat/skirt combo, I think plenty of the gang have successfully done that; maybe they can weigh in.

For Tiana, the easiest solution is one of the Tiana princess costumes available online; they have various ranges of price and fanciness. Get one, lop it off at or above the knees, and it can be about as elaborate as you want above the waist since there isn't a cape.
For Chef Minnie, the petticoat with layers idea works. Layer on the checkerboard and white skirt(s) and add a white running top, maybe one with the bandanna/neckerchief printed on it, or not. Add a chef's hat and viola.
As for the shorts/petticoat/skirt combo, I think plenty of the gang have successfully done that; maybe they can weigh in.
So I'm actually going for Tiana as not a princess. I also like making my life as hard as possible, so I plan on making everything myself. I think the Tiana outfit should be relatively simple, since it's just a few different shades of green.

The only thing I'd have to try out is if having 3 different layers on (shorts, petticoat, circle skirt) would be annoying for the half.
Even though I had short under my tutu, a skirt layer under the tulle was necessary, otherwise it goes between the legs. I had used the bottom half of an old athletic T-shirt so no fancy sowing involved there.

Also there are tons of Minnie Mouse tutus and skirts available online (also referred to as Polka Dots Tutu Skirt). I am not sure that it is worth making custom.

This is how they looked in 2017
1718047185032.jpeg

Last edited:
The only thing I'd have to try out is if having 3 different layers on (shorts, petticoat, circle skirt) would be annoying for the half.
I wore this exact thing for six races in January (5K, 10K and Halfs at both WDW and DL) and it worked great for me. I made circle "poodle" skirts for vintage Minnie, Daisy and Pluto costumes out of a light jersey fabric, wore the same petticoat underneath and 5-inch running shorts with pockets underneath that. Now the weather was NICE, so I can't speak to how this may feel when sticky, but I had decent airflow, and you could adjust how long your skirt is for that purpose.

One bit of advice I will give is to safety pin your petticoat to your skirt in a few spots around the waistband. Mine was rather poofy and wanted to slide down. It also made it easier to manage layers when keeping the skirt up out of the way in the porta potties or retrieving things from my shorts pockets.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter