Talk to be about visiting the parks in June (2nd or 3rd week)

Tink113

DIS Veteran
It's been a while since we have been to the parks. We mostly do Disney cruises but we are thinking about going this summer for the 2nd and 3rd week of June.

Here are my questions:
- Is it insanely hot? We have been to FL the last few years in Aug and it's so hot we have to stick to water activities! We went putt putt once at 10am and barely made it through the course before my husband was actually feeling lightheaded.
- How are the crowds? I imagine it will be busy but is it a total waste of money? Are we only going to make it on like 3 rides? I have a sensory-seeking kiddo and waiting in lines can cause meltdowns. I think he would be ok for a while but ....

- Any tips? Money-saving ideas?
Should we do Universal instead?

We will not be staying on property

June is hot, not quite as humid as Aug, but still hot. It's already hot, some recent temps were mid 80s but the real feel has been as high as mid 90s. Today is 93, real feel 96 and it's only May. The tips to deal are early to rise, midday breaks, swim, nap, maybe a shower but totally not worth it since you'll be sweating again as soon as you walk outside...... and then back to the parks at night. Make lunch ADR plans to get guaranteed AC break, hydrate, fans, cooling towels, hats, sunscreen, umbrellas.....basically an arsenal of summer time products is a must. But all in all, summer WDW is not for the faint of heart and if someone isn't good in the heat, it could be a deal breaker for ya'll. The only benefit of June is that it's not normally as rainy and humid as later in the summer and you're not in the heart of hurricane season. No real benefit to doing universal over WDW, totally your personal choice.

And as far as $ saving, staying off property def helps, don't eat bfast at the parks. It's easy to not eat much on summer trips since everyone is so hot, nobody is ever that starved, but we will share meals since portions are pretty big and we'll usually only do one "real" meal at the parks/on property and snack around other meal times. We try to book meal times at off hours to avoid crowds.

It's been a while since we have been to the parks. We mostly do Disney cruises but we are thinking about going this summer for the 2nd and 3rd week of June.

Here are my questions:
- Is it insanely hot? We have been to FL the last few years in Aug and it's so hot we have to stick to water activities! We went putt putt once at 10am and barely made it through the course before my husband was actually feeling lightheaded.
- How are the crowds? I imagine it will be busy but is it a total waste of money? Are we only going to make it on like 3 rides? I have a sensory-seeking kiddo and waiting in lines can cause meltdowns. I think he would be ok for a while but ....

Should we do Universal instead?

We will not be staying on property

We are going the first week of June. usually we had been going early November taking the kids out of school for a week, but that is not an option anymore. Like you im so worried about the heat and im from Texas. In the summer i try to stay indoors most of the time. I hope we can survive! I think June is still better and more merciful than August.

For your kid, I think there is something you can get like a disability pass that can help you navigate things. I heard though that they are making that more difficult for people to get, not sure why, but you can try getting that.
genie plus at MK and HS would also help.
I would say rope drop all the time, but if you are off-site, EPE guests would already be ahead of you there. So don't hit the heavy hitter attractions at first and keep those for later at night.

Here are my questions:

June is hot but not nearly as humid as August, and that does actually make a big difference in the real feel. It is only the beginning of hurricane season and long before the peak. But you will still get the daily afternoon thunderstorms starting around 3pm or so. Sometimes sooner. First week of June a few years ago I remember being caught in an absolutely torrential downpour while leaving HS for my midday siesta that ended up lasting several hours.

It won't be Spring Break/Thanksgiving Week/Xmas week busy but it will be busy. A huge number of school districts esp. in the South get out the first week of June and so this is a very popular time for families like yours who have to plan around school schedules. Many love to go before the summer weather becomes too unbearable for them, and crowds tend to build from the start of the month. I've never been during mid-June before, but our annual trip for my birthday always straddles the last week of May into the first week of June, and there is always a marked difference in crowds between the beginning and end of the trip. Last year we left on June 8th and the last couple of days it was VERY obvious more schools were out. The week after got even worse, judging by reports on the boards.

That said, summer crowds have been trending downward ever since before the pandemic closures; even the July 4th holiday was much less busy last year than it's historically been, and Disney themselves projected lower crowds this summer on today's earnings call. I think working around school schedules this is timeframe is probably going to be your sweet spot of weather and crowds. It will be less crowded later but the heat and humidity will be worse.

Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. Liquid IV is a godsend. Look into DAS for your kiddo; the process is changing very shortly so I would check out the DISabilities forums here for more information. Does your offsite hotel offer Early Entry benefits? If so, definitely take advantage of that if at all possible. If not, I would strongly consider switching to one that does. EE is invaluable when touring the parks in the summer months not just because wait times are far lower but also because the temps are so much more bearable in the early mornings. The tried and true rope drop until about 11 or 12p, then leave for a long break--pool, nap. If a long midday break at your hotel is not as feasible, book an ADR at a nearby resort for lunch, or just go there to hang out in the AC and rest. Then go back in the evening after the afternoon rains have cooled it off.

Also, if your kiddo is having a meltdown due to heat/overstimulation and needs a quick place to decompress, head to the baby care centers at the parks. Despite the name they offer space to do that for children of all ages.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter