Should I upgrade to Poly Club Level?

WishUponAStar3

Believer In Big Dreams!
Hi all! I'm trying to decide whether to keep my current Polynesian Resort View reservation for July 5th or upgrade to Club Level for $300 more. We'll be there for just 1 day/night following our Disney Wish cruise, and have a 10 AM flight home the following morning. The reasons I'm thinking of upgrading are so that we have a place to hang out before our room is ready, since we'll be disembarking the ship around 8 or 9 AM, which means we could be at the Poly while breakfast is still being served in the lounge. It would be nice to be able to have a leisurely breakfast there rather than the mad rush the morning we get off the ship. And if leaving the Poly at 7:30 AM gives us enough time to make our flight home (we have TSA Pre) then we could get to the lounge right at 7 AM for breakfast before we leave. The other reason I'm tempted is because I really want to see the fireworks, and watching from the lounge with the music piped in seems so nice and like a great way to cap off our trip.

The reasons I'm debating and didn't just automatically upgrade is because we won't be taking advantage of any of the evening food and drinks since we have an early dinner at 'Ohana (this is a can't-miss for me, my favorite restaurant!!) and they don't seem to offer lunch in the lounge so we'd be paying for that out of pocket too. I know they have fireworks viewing on the Poly beach too, so if that's a nicer view for free, maybe it wouldn't be worth upgrading to club level for this perk--unless the beach gets really crowded, particularly on 4th of July week.

WWYD? We are a family of 4, me and my husband, 7-year-old son and 2.5-year-old daughter. This will be the last stop of a long trip: 12 nights visiting family & friends in New Jersey, 4 nights on the Disney Wish, and then 1 night at the Poly, so I do want it to be as relaxing and special as possible. However, if the lounge doesn't really add that much value in our case, it may be worth saving those few hundred $$? I did already try to reserve a Poolside Patio as another place for us to be able to hang out during the day before our room is ready, but they were already all booked at the 60-day mark!

Thanks in advance for your feedback!!

Last edited:
I'm thinking of upgrading are so that we have a place to hang out before our room is ready, since we'll be disembarking the ship around 8 or 9 AM, which means we could be at the Poly while breakfast is still being served in the lounge.
Not sure you will make it to the Poly in time for breakfast. Breakfast is only served from 7 AM to 10:30 AM. Since you have to go through Customs / Immigration services after you collect your luggage at the port. How do you plan to make the transfer to WDW?
The reasons I'm debating and didn't just automatically upgrade is because we won't be taking advantage of any of the evening food and drinks since we have an early dinner at 'Ohana (this is a can't-miss for me, my favorite restaurant!!) and they don't seem to offer lunch in the lounge so we'd be paying for that out of pocket too.
You should be able to take advantage of the evening hours in the lounge. When our children were young they really did not eat much at 'Ohana or enjoy the long time that dinner took but could find something in the CL lounge to top off before bed at 8 PM.

Both you and your husband could also take advantage of evening drinks and deserts. One person can swing by the lounge while the other monitors the children.
I did already try to reserve a Poolside Patio as another place for us to be able to hang out during the day before our room is ready, but they were already all booked at the 60-day mark!
Keep trying often there are cancellations around the 30 day mark before arrival. Also call early in the morning EDT timezone.

Dave

I will be an enabler and tell you to definitely upgrade to CL for the one night at the end of your trip. In fact, we booked two nights Poly CL after our Fantasy cruise this summer for many of the same reasons you outlined. We don’t like flying out on the same day we disembark from our cruises as that means we have to pack carefully during our last evening onboard and it seems like our vacation comes to a grinding halt. We also wanted somewhere to relax if our room wasn’t ready when we arrived the morning after disembarking from the cruise. Similarly, we wanted to be able to watch the fireworks from the beach as well as enjoy the water parade. In addition, we have an evening flight at the end of our stay so we will be able to use the lounge on check out day. We used “Disney math” to help justify the cost of our stay by reasoning that the extra amount we will pay for CL is roughly equal to what we saved by having the 5 of us to wait two days (instead of one day) to fly out for our return trip so our CL is actually “free” 🙂.

Hi all! I'm trying to decide whether to keep my current Polynesian Resort View reservation for July 5th or upgrade to Club Level for $300 more. We'll be there for just 1 day/night following our Disney Wish cruise, and have a 10 AM flight home the following morning. The reasons I'm thinking of upgrading are so that we have a place to hang out before our room is ready, since we'll be disembarking the ship around 8 or 9 AM, which means we could be at the Poly while breakfast is still being served in the lounge. It would be nice to be able to have a leisurely breakfast there rather than the mad rush the morning we get off the ship. And if leaving the Poly at 7:30 AM gives us enough time to make our flight home (we have TSA Pre) then we could get to the lounge right at 7 AM for breakfast before we leave. The other reason I'm tempted is because I really want to see the fireworks, and watching from the lounge with the music piped in seems so nice and like a great way to cap off our trip.

The reasons I'm debating and didn't just automatically upgrade is because we won't be taking advantage of any of the evening food and drinks since we have an early dinner at 'Ohana (this is a can't-miss for me, my favorite restaurant!!) and they don't seem to offer lunch in the lounge so we'd be paying for that out of pocket too. I know they have fireworks viewing on the Poly beach too, so if that's a nicer view for free, maybe it wouldn't be worth upgrading to club level for this perk--unless the beach gets really crowded, particularly on 4th of July week.

WWYD? We are a family of 4, me and my husband, 7-year-old son and 2.5-year-old daughter. This will be the last stop of a long trip: 12 nights visiting family & friends in New Jersey, 4 nights on the Disney Wish, and then 1 night at the Poly, so I do want it to be as relaxing and special as possible. However, if the lounge doesn't really add that much value in our case, it may be worth saving those few hundred $$? I did already try to reserve a Poolside Patio as another place for us to be able to hang out during the day before our room is ready, but they were already all booked at the 60-day mark!

Thanks in advance for your feedback!!

We are doing this very thing in September actually. I'll share our thoughts. We are only a family of 2 but we are booked for 1 night at Poly CL following a 4 night cruise on the Wish. Granted our flight home is Saturday night so we will be able to take advantage of 2 days of offerings with only lunch planned elsewhere on debarkation Friday (a very generous local friend is treating us). But our logic is we didn't want to go straight from the ship to sit around an airport. While DCL is new to us I have cruised before and I do not like flying in or out the same day as I'm getting on or off a ship. Just too stressful. The Poly is our favorite resort and we wanted a little time there on this trip (pre cruise we are doing the parks and the GF), and CL is a treat for us mostly to have something nice to look forward to. Debarkation day is always a bit of a bummer. We plan to enjoy the lounge and the pools that day, perhaps doing a park for a little while on Saturday.

It's very easy for me to spend your money but if the difference is $300, I would do it just as a treat and a nice cap on your vacation. Sometimes value is more than just money spent. I agree to keep calling about the Oasis patios though, people are always canceling.

Thank you so much for these opinions!! I am definitely leaning more towards yes now. 😊 @Stitch'sCousin and @kylenne, both of your trip plans sound amazing!! And I totally agree that value is often more than $$ spent, like the intangibles of ease and convenience, and as @kylenne said, having something to look forward to after the bummer of debarkation. Of course a night at the Poly in and of itself is a treat, even without club level, so I think it's really how much we'll utilize that lounge space. If we take private transportation to the Poly from Port Canaveral, with priority walk-off debarkation, would we be to the resort in time for 10 AM breakfast? And if we're flying home from MCO the following Saturday at 10 AM, does that give us enough time to hit the lounge for breakfast right at 7 AM? I don't love hanging out in airports, so as long as we get there in time to check our luggage and go through security without cutting it close, we probably don't need much padding beyond that. I'm just thinking if we don't use the lounge at ALL the second day, maybe it's not so worth it?

Last question! For those of you who have seen the fireworks from the lounge or the beach, which would you recommend, particularly with young kids? TIA!

Thank you so much for these opinions!! I am definitely leaning more towards yes now. 😊 @Stitch'sCousin and @kylenne, both of your trip plans sound amazing!! And I totally agree that value is often more than $$ spent, like the intangibles of ease and convenience, and as @kylenne said, having something to look forward to after the bummer of debarkation. Of course a night at the Poly in and of itself is a treat, even without club level, so I think it's really how much we'll utilize that lounge space. If we take private transportation to the Poly from Port Canaveral, with priority walk-off debarkation, would we be to the resort in time for 10 AM breakfast? And if we're flying home from MCO the following Saturday at 10 AM, does that give us enough time to hit the lounge for breakfast right at 7 AM? I don't love hanging out in airports, so as long as we get there in time to check our luggage and go through security without cutting it close, we probably don't need much padding beyond that. I'm just thinking if we don't use the lounge at ALL the second day, maybe it's not so worth it?

Last question! For those of you who have seen the fireworks from the lounge or the beach, which would you recommend, particularly with young kids? TIA!
I am honestly not sure you will make CL breakfast on your debarkation day. I don't know how fast you will clear customs or get out to your private transportation. We are taking Disney transportation to and from PC and from what I understand those guests tend to leave quicker, we also have Global Entry and Nexus respectively but we are still not planning on being back before 11 just to be on the safe side and will likely grab breakfast in Marceline if we have time. Saturday morning you should be fine depending on which terminal you are flying out of, my experience on holiday weekends at MCO is that few people are flying out from there or arriving on the Saturday of one. This may be a better ask on the DCL board here though.

If we take private transportation to the Poly from Port Canaveral, with priority walk-off debarkation, would we be to the resort in time for 10 AM breakfast?
Maybe. However I think Disney Cruise transfers have priority and the first bus leaves at 8 AM followed by a 9 AM and then a 10 AM. Note transfers stop at multiple resorts. I would follow the lead of @kylenne and eat on board and then have a leisurely transfer to the Poly.
And if we're flying home from MCO the following Saturday at 10 AM, does that give us enough time to hit the lounge for breakfast right at 7 AM?
How are you getting to MCO and what Airline as the Airline determines the baggage chack-in time for their flights? Saturdays are better then M-F when you also have commuter traffic.
We always like the Beach vs a view from inside the lounge. Do the fireworks "reports" (booms) bother your small children? We would have the kids bathed and in their PJs and ready for bed before the Fireworks started. The busiest days are July 3-4 for the Special Fireworks and reserved CL seating area and by July 5th things are back to normal on the beach.

Dave

I will be the naysayer on this one. Even if you make it to Poly in time for breakfast on debarkation morning, you will never eat $300 worth of food in the CL lounge. I would be more apt to have a more leisurely morning on the ship, debark later and use the money saved toward a great lunch or even 'Ohana or Kona breakfast. There are plenty of places to hang out at Poly including the lobby and pool and you can also ask the front desk if a room is available early. I, personally, much prefer watching the fireworks outside than inside through a window as well.

Maybe. However I think Disney Cruise transfers have priority and the first bus leaves at 8 AM followed by a 9 AM and then a 10 AM. Note transfers stop at multiple resorts. I would follow the lead of @kylenne and eat on board and then have a leisurely transfer to the Poly.

How are you getting to MCO and what Airline as the Airline determines the baggage chack-in time for their flights? Saturdays are better then M-F when you also have commuter traffic.

We always like the Beach vs a view from inside the lounge. Do the fireworks "reports" (booms) bother your small children? We would have the kids bathed and in their PJs and ready for bed before the Fireworks started. The busiest days are July 3-4 for the Special Fireworks and reserved CL seating area and by July 5th things are back to normal on the beach.

Dave

This is really helpful info, thank you! As much as I love club level at Disneyland Hotel, I'm thinking if beach is the better fireworks view and we're doing 'Ohana instead of the lounge for dinner, it might not be worth it at Poly just for breakfasts.

The other reason I'm tempted is because I really want to see the fireworks, and watching from the lounge with the music piped in seems so nice and like a great way to cap off our trip.
I haven't had a good experience watching the fireworks from the lounge. There were always people saving all the tables and chairs closest to the window for their very large extended family. The reflection on the glass also diminished the viewing.

Hi all! I'm trying to decide whether to keep my current Polynesian Resort View reservation for July 5th or upgrade to Club Level for $300 more. We are a family of 4, me and my husband, 7-year-old son and 2.5-year-old daughter.
Despite my negative review above, I would still do the upgrade, especially with the early arrival and the age of the children.

Despite my negative review above, I would still do the upgrade, especially with the early arrival and the age of the children.

Oh thanks, good to know! Is the lounge a really nice place to relax with amenities during the daytime hours? I’m still just on the fence if it’s worth it without making use of evening food offerings or the fireworks view. Then again, early July will likely be HOT, so having that indoor space before our room is ready might come in handy.

Oh thanks, good to know! Is the lounge a really nice place to relax with amenities during the daytime hours? I’m still just on the fence if it’s worth it without making use of evening food offerings or the fireworks view. Then again, early July will likely be HOT, so having that indoor space before our room is ready might come in handy.
Your best bet is to look up YouTube videos of recent Poly Club level stays. You can see what the lounge looks like, as well as the recent offerings. They should give you an idea of what to expect and hopefully help you decide either way.

The CL math never works if trying to equal what you would otherwise spend in food/drink, so that’s not really the lens I use here. But having had kids at your ages, Poly CL was a family favorite for both parents and kids. Just so darn convenient and a nice little splurge. Hawaii is an exceptionally good longhouse location, steps to everything.

July can have storms with pool closures - would you like to spend the time huddled in your room or have the nice lounge steps away with snacks and beverages?

I’ll take a CL breakfast any day rather than treking to Captain Cooks, especially since you’re tight on time departure day.

This is the end of a 12 day trip, as a parent I’d be in “I don’t want to think anymore” mode and you can’t put a price on convenience.

The Poly lounge is a great place to be during the day while waiting for a room. There is also a restroom on the third floor convenient for pool clothes changing if needed. During the day Poly CL lounge is the best - super relaxing and chill. Main breakfast and evening services can be a little crowded/hectic and is perhaps not Poly CL’s best look.

Beer/wine is available anytime upon request, if inclined. It’s out for self serve during the evenings.

I agree with others - I don’t like the lounge for fireworks - light reflections off the glass, people yapping, etc. Your kids will likely enjoy a spot on the sand just steps away and it’s a better show being outside, in my opinion.

Unpopular opinion and people will argue strongly against this (which I understand), but I always leave WDW 2 hours before my flight, even when checking bags. To me, 2.5 hours is overkill. Admittedly we have precheck, fly frequently, and are well versed/comfortable in keeping airport time to the absolute minimum.

To me you have a solid 30ish mins (7-7:30) for breakfast, then be making your way to the front (target 7:30-7:45, depending on how much stuff you have, pace of the group, any last minute things, potty stops, etc), then depart Poly 7:45-8. That’s what we would do, but again, others may feel more comfortable with more time/following airline recommendations.

And another way to look at it - best to splurge on CL for one night vs a longer stay if it turns out you don’t like it. A one nighter test isn’t necessarily a bad thing as it can help you be more informed for future possible travel.

Just my two cents - hope it helps! Enjoy your stay!

Upgrading for the food/beverages and a nice place to sit probably isn't worth it. There are many areas both inside and out at Poly where you might choose to sit. Mostly a matter of budget and what your preferences are. As it relates to departing to the airport, I would always prefer to leave more time (even with TSA-precheck) rather than cutting it too close. You and your family may be familiar with navigating MCO, but there always seem to be a LOT of families with small children who are infrequent travelers, have no idea of the layout or where to go next. All of that congestion means you will take longer to get to where you are going at the airport. There might also be traffic on the freeway that means it takes longer to get to MCO then you originally planned. If you are late for your flight, they will leave without you, so I would much rather be there early. You can shop or eat if you arrive at the airport ahead of schedule. It might be several hours before the next available flight where the airline can re-book you (especially if traveling internationally), so saving a few minutes when arriving doesn't seem like a good plan to me.

Last edited:
It is possible to make it to the Poly for breakfast if you take private transportation, everyone have passports, and leave the port by 7:30-8:30. Clearing customs is easy peasy if everyone has a passport. They use facial rec and it only takes seconds to clear, but everyone in the room has to have a passport to use it. For $300 I would upgrade just for the convenience of having an AC indoor space while waiting for your room. Even if you don't make it in time for breakfast there will be drinks and probably some fruit out. I agree with others that watching the fireworks from the beach is best but the lounge is also very nice if you would rather not go on the beach.

$300 is a lot of money for breakfast and a lounge to sit in for a couple of hours while your room is made ready, assuming there isn't already one available. I'd be more inclined to drop my bags at bell services and then go somewhere for a nice leisurely breakfast - not necessarily at the Poly. If you were there for a couple of days, it might be more worthwhile, but your opportunity to use the lounge and take advantage of it is such a short period of time, and you've already said that you won't likely take advantage of the evening hours. Even if you go there on the morning of departure, you won't have much time to eat. You'd probably be better off having breakfast at the airport or paying for lounge access there.

The CL math never works if trying to equal what you would otherwise spend in food/drink, so that’s not really the lens I use here. But having had kids at your ages, Poly CL was a family favorite for both parents and kids. Just so darn convenient and a nice little splurge. Hawaii is an exceptionally good longhouse location, steps to everything.

July can have storms with pool closures - would you like to spend the time huddled in your room or have the nice lounge steps away with snacks and beverages?

I’ll take a CL breakfast any day rather than treking to Captain Cooks, especially since you’re tight on time departure day.

This is the end of a 12 day trip, as a parent I’d be in “I don’t want to think anymore” mode and you can’t put a price on convenience.

The Poly lounge is a great place to be during the day while waiting for a room. There is also a restroom on the third floor convenient for pool clothes changing if needed. During the day Poly CL lounge is the best - super relaxing and chill. Main breakfast and evening services can be a little crowded/hectic and is perhaps not Poly CL’s best look.

Beer/wine is available anytime upon request, if inclined. It’s out for self serve during the evenings.

I agree with others - I don’t like the lounge for fireworks - light reflections off the glass, people yapping, etc. Your kids will likely enjoy a spot on the sand just steps away and it’s a better show being outside, in my opinion.

Unpopular opinion and people will argue strongly against this (which I understand), but I always leave WDW 2 hours before my flight, even when checking bags. To me, 2.5 hours is overkill. Admittedly we have precheck, fly frequently, and are well versed/comfortable in keeping airport time to the absolute minimum.

To me you have a solid 30ish mins (7-7:30) for breakfast, then be making your way to the front (target 7:30-7:45, depending on how much stuff you have, pace of the group, any last minute things, potty stops, etc), then depart Poly 7:45-8. That’s what we would do, but again, others may feel more comfortable with more time/following airline recommendations.

And another way to look at it - best to splurge on CL for one night vs a longer stay if it turns out you don’t like it. A one nighter test isn’t necessarily a bad thing as it can help you be more informed for future possible travel.

Just my two cents - hope it helps! Enjoy your stay!

This is SO helpful, thank you!! I think you may have just convinced me! 😄

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter