The Running Thread--2024

Race Report - New River Marathon

I ran the New River Marathon in NC's Blue Ridge Mountains just outside of Boone this morning. Since MW, my training has been focused on both reestablishing my pace and dropping my weight back to an acceptable level. I've managed to lose 48 lbs since MW, so I'm calling that a success, if still a work in progress. Having already achieved another goal of establishing a new PoT in March, I was looking for a marathon to capitalize on all that training, and being just a 3h drive from home, this one fit the bill.

Scoping out the course map in advance, there were only 3 significant hills, despite the mountain setting, as the course is run largely along the banks of the New River in its valley. I didn't really have any solid goals going in, although I thought a 4:15-4:30 finish would be a good indication of pacing progress.

The race started under cloudy skies with just enough sun peeking through to give us a mile 1 rainbow. It was relatively cool, but the humidity was very high (Temp 65, Dew Point 65, 100% RH). The first half of the course consisted of two large, independent loops including the three major hills. I quickly found I had underestimated not only the scope of the hills, but also the fact that there were long stretches of mild, but significant uphill running between them. My pacing wasn't too bad as we finished the 2nd loop around mile 14, but my energy output was significantly higher than I had anticipated. The rain mostly held off through the first half of the race, limiting itself to mostly refreshing periods of misting.

As we entered the back half of the course, a 6 mile out and back, that changed and we had a steady rain from miles 15-19, or so. The rain was soaking and enough to cause ponding along the course. Worse, when it ended the sun came out and the asphalt roads engaged "broiler mode". The outbound portion was a slow, gentle downhill that left us with a much less gentle-feeling uphill return to the finish line. I started having trouble with my hip/IT band at that point, too. The race was run entirely on 2 lane country roads with significant camber and no shoulder. They were open to traffic during the race, which meant staying largely to the side. My "upslope" hip decided it had had enough and it was difficult to run through. I ended up coming in a bit slower than I'd hoped at 4:37:55, but I'm pleased with my effort and result.

This is easily the most scenic race I've run. The views of the New River and looking up and out across its valley were gorgeous. We ran by numerous Christmas tree farms that were beautiful and impressive on their own. Unfortunately, I don't run with my phone so I don't have any pictures. It wasn't a spectator friendly race, with moral support on the course being provided by horses, cows, and even a few alpacas! All in all a very enjoyable, well-run race. I'd consider running it again.

Thanks for reading! Now I just need this hip to settle down!

IMG_0328.jpeg

Race Report - New River Marathon

I ran the New River Marathon in NC's Blue Ridge Mountains just outside of Boone this morning. Since MW, my training has been focused on both reestablishing my pace and dropping my weight back to an acceptable level. I've managed to lose 48 lbs since MW, so I'm calling that a success, if still a work in progress. Having already achieved another goal of establishing a new PoT in March, I was looking for a marathon to capitalize on all that training, and being just a 3h drive from home, this one fit the bill.

Scoping out the course map in advance, there were only 3 significant hills, despite the mountain setting, as the course is run largely along the banks of the New River in its valley. I didn't really have any solid goals going in, although I thought a 4:15-4:30 finish would be a good indication of pacing progress.

The race started under cloudy skies with just enough sun peeking through to give us a mile 1 rainbow. It was relatively cool, but the humidity was very high (Temp 65, Dew Point 65, 100% RH). The first half of the course consisted of two large, independent loops including the three major hills. I quickly found I had underestimated not only the scope of the hills, but also the fact that there were long stretches of mild, but significant uphill running between them. My pacing wasn't too bad as we finished the 2nd loop around mile 14, but my energy output was significantly higher than I had anticipated. The rain mostly held off through the first half of the race, limiting itself to mostly refreshing periods of misting.

As we entered the back half of the course, a 6 mile out and back, that changed and we had a steady rain from miles 15-19, or so. The rain was soaking and enough to cause ponding along the course. Worse, when it ended the sun came out and the asphalt roads engaged "broiler mode". The outbound portion was a slow, gentle downhill that left us with a much less gentle-feeling uphill return to the finish line. I started having trouble with my hip/IT band at that point, too. The race was run entirely on 2 lane country roads with significant camber and no shoulder. They were open to traffic during the race, which meant staying largely to the side. My "upslope" hip decided it had had enough and it was difficult to run through. I ended up coming in a bit slower than I'd hoped at 4:37:55, but I'm pleased with my effort and result.

This is easily the most scenic race I've run. The views of the New River and looking up and out across its valley were gorgeous. We ran by numerous Christmas tree farms that were beautiful and impressive on their own. Unfortunately, I don't run with my phone so I don't have any pictures. It wasn't a spectator friendly race, with moral support on the course being provided by horses, cows, and even a few alpacas! All in all a very enjoyable, well-run race. I'd consider running it again.

Thanks for reading! Now I just need this hip to settle down!

View attachment 861033
Congrats on finishing another marathon! My hip hurts just reading about it..

Need some advice if anyone here has dealt with something similar: so I've been ramping up training for NYC/Dopey, with a half also scheduled for this month, and I'll admit I've been kind of aggressive about my pace in all my runs. Felt like it was going well but recently I started dealing with soreness on the outer side of my right foot. Came to a head during a 10 mile run and was rough afterwards so I decided to stop for a few weeks and book a visit with an orthopedist.

In the meantime, looked up my symptoms and all signs pointed to something called peroneal tendonitis. Went to the doc and he didn't exactly confirm the diagnosis but checked out my foot and recommended a few strategies:

- New running shoes for pronators
- A boot for stretching my calf out
- Ice after every run

He also said that I could start running again immediately (at this point it was 12 days since my last run), which sort of surprised me. I haven't ordered any new shoes because I wanted to assess how it goes if I slow down and be smarter about increasing my pace. So I've gradually gotten back into it. Went for a few very light two mile runs, but yesterday it was raining over here so for the first time in awhile I ran on the treadmill in my apt building's gym, which happens to have a mirror wall! And so I decided that it might be a good idea to watch my stride as I run and that's where I noticed that my right foot kicks out a bit with each step I take, which doesn't seem good (left foot has no kick out). I'm guessing that's how I'm ending up with foot pain but wanted to ask if anyone has ideas on how to proceed with all of this in mind. Is this enough of an indication that I should be getting a different pair of shoes (looking at Hoka Arahi and Saucony Guide, currently use Hoka Cliftons)? Should I look at changing my stride somehow?

FWIW I have a follow-up appt with the ortho in two weeks, so I'll mention what I've found since the first appt. Not doing the half, I could probably leg it out but I don't want to risk another significant flare-up.
Certainly not an expert or a doctor but I will side with @Zutroy on this one just from personal experience.
I was told early on that I needed support shoes and said OK without listening to what my body had to say about it. Long story short, a lot of pain (including your diagnosis) and money later I am in neutral shoes that fit me comfortably and I am much happier for it. You may indeed need them but I would look at what you first thought closely - how long have you been running and how hard did you push in an effort to ramp it up? Did you have pain with neutral shoes before? I don’t want to contradict your Dr. but I would be careful about changing how you run if you got an overuse injury simply from overuse.
I would absolutely say that you can’t stretch your calf muscles enough, it is amazing how much they effect every part of your foot and shins, look at both achilles and soleus stretches

Last edited:
Congrats on finishing a tough race @camaker that sun can be unforgiving at times.
I’m toeing the line in about 45 minutes with a starting T&D of 101, 52 temp 49 dp. Supposed to stay cloudy, we’ll see if the wheels stay on or fly off in all directions soon enough

Certainly not an expert or a doctor but I will side with @Zutroy on this one just from personal experience.
I was told early on that I needed support shoes and said OK without listening to what my body had to say about it. Long story short, a lot of pain (including your diagnosis) and money later I am in neutral shoes that fit me comfortably and I am much happier for it. You may indeed need them but I would look at what you first thought closely - how long have you been running and how hard did you push in an effort to ramp it up? Did you have pain with neutral shoes before? I don’t want to contradict your Dr. but I would be careful about changing how you run if you got an overuse injury simply from overuse.
I would absolutely say that you can’t stretch your calf muscles enough, it is amazing how much they effect every part of your foot and shins, look at both achilles and soleus stretches
Yeah that's fair. I've thought about how hard I've been pushing and I dunno... it didn't FEEL like I've been overdoing it but who knows. Honestly the big addition to my training has been trying to be more consistent with the weekday runs, it's by far my biggest issue in training: I absolutely make sure I get in my long runs, but I'm not a morning person so the weekday runs are dependent on how I'm feeling when I'm done with work and if I have any other plans. I thought there was a lot of room for improvement in my marathon time, particularly after faltering somewhat with the last two I ran. So I had been getting better about the short runs and when I get those runs in they're generally shorter than what's expected from a marathon plan.

TBH I was very close to just following the plan EXCEPT for the new shoes (I was not thrilled about the idea of having to spend more money on running shoes while the current pair was still in solid shape) until I saw how my leg was kicking out during the treadmill run. My foot also didn't feel great after it was done and I'm kinda worried about setbacks. Ended up trying Hoka Arahis and Saucony Guide and went with the Arahis, felt like a shoe that had less roll than the Cliftons, which I suspect is causing the kickout. I'm taking it very slowly though, only using the Arahis on short treadmill runs to see how it feels and if it helps with the kickouts.

So here's a story that some of you might appreciate.

I did a treadmill run at Peloton Studio this morning with Jess King, and since my outfit was very black (I only have like 3 things that I can actually wear for in-studio classes because everything else is race shirts), I decided to put on my rose gold Sparkle Athletic skirt to add some color. So Jess walks into the studio, sees my skirt, and makes me get off the treadmill and do a lap around the room. I was both entertained and horrified.

The class itself was good but I felt a lot of pressure to live up to the sparkle skirt.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter