DVC-Rent/Transfer board vs using a broker

JoshF

Mouseketeer
Hi All!

In the past I have used a broker (Disboards sponsor) to rent out unused points. I have had some success but I see people asking for more per point on the DVC-Rent/Transfer board. My question for those of you who have rented here, which do you prefer? Renting direct here or listing with a broker? I know that here I would subscribe to a gold plan.

Thanks!

I've rented extra points thru a broker and also on the board. No problems either way. Using a broker was easier; thru the board was more profitable but took more work. No real preference here.

Have done both, and it is certainly less time consuming through a broker. If renting a small number of points I would use a broker as not worth the time and effort doing it yourself just for an extra few $$

I used to use a broker (https://dvcrequest.com/) and was very happy to do so, but the amount I received wasn't increasing while the price for direct rentals was. A couple of years ago I had a large amount to rent due to being unable to travel and realised that I'd be happy to do a bit of work for the extra $5 a point. Since then I've continued to do it myself, even when renting smaller amounts. If David's put up their payments by $2 or $3 I think I might switch back to them and save the effort, but I'll continue to do it myself with the current difference.

I used to use a broker (https://dvcrequest.com/) and was very happy to do so, but the amount I received wasn't increasing while the price for direct rentals was. A couple of years ago I had a large amount to rent due to being unable to travel and realised that I'd be happy to do a bit of work for the extra $5 a point. Since then I've continued to do it myself, even when renting smaller amounts. If David's put up their payments by $2 or $3 I think I might switch back to them and save the effort, but I'll continue to do it myself with the current difference.
Do you rent on here? I listed some points on a Facebook page. Someone responded that they were interested but then when I sent her a message she said 2 other people messaged her with a lower price. I would like to try renting myself. Just need to find the best place and a good contract.

I actually use Facebook, but that's mainly because I had some confirmed reservations a few years ago and we weren't allowed to travel, so I wanted to rent them as they were rather than risk cancelling and trying to find something else. I've stuck with it because I'm familiar with it now and have references on there, but I think there may be more security with renting on here. You probably get fewer nuisance PMs on these boards too. :) If you do use Facebook there tends to be a lot of communication before you find someone who wants to proceed, so it does take a bit of time.

I’ve always preferred Disboards (and another site for DVC owners that’s now defunct). Whether I’m trying to save money or get that special booking, Disboards has been the most successful. Brokers can be expensive and they usually don’t have inventory at 11 months for high demand bookings. It’s extremely hard to get something like Boardwalk standard studio through a broker. We got it here for $170/nt a few years ago. I stalked availability and when it opened immediately reached out here and they booked. That’s not happening via broker or confirmed reservations :laughing:

Our last rental was Poly and I think it only saved $1pp here on Disboards, but I still chose it over broker because I just wanted to get it done. It was right at 7.5 months and availability was dwindling. Standard view was already gone. The only other option, lakeview, closed up soon after we booked. That owner was smart because even at $21pp it was worth it. Still saved me thousands (no joke) over cash and they even had a refund policy in place. I’m sure they were happy not paying broker.

The mistake here someitmes is having high demand resort but not having the full home priority window available. You’ll see 5 pages of activity and still haven’t rented out their 160pts. Even when priced lower than other listings of same resort, there needs to be some inventory left or they just end up fielding pages of requests that go nowhere. Like trying to rent out BC with only 8 months till points expire. People will come asking for dates beyond that. People come asking for dates within but studios and 2BR already gone at BC. At that point you need to compete pricewise with SSR, or expand your booking window.

Last edited:
I just use a broker. I’ve tried the Facebook groups but there’s too much back and forth and flakes that I encountered. And some of the prices on the groups were the same or 1 or 2 dollars more than a broker would offer. With the brokers, I’ve had points rented in a day to a week, so I just value that convenience and ease

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter