Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2006, 08:52 AM   #1
krismom
New Rule:
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OP. That way when someone does the delete of nevermind edit we know what was there.

Parking tips at IOA / Universal?!

C'mon everyone- help me out here... I'm going to both parks (1 day each) with my four kids, two strollers and a reluctant husband. I am worried about the huge trek I've heard about from the parking areas to the parks. Is there any inside info I haven't uncovered. I won't tell the Theme Parks Board people if you have a scam um, I mean tip for me!
Since we're friends now... do you have any other tips for us first timers?

Thanks!!!!
krismom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 09:49 AM   #2
Snoopymom
DIS Veteran

No tip, but I think for about $4 or $5 more you can take an immediate left after you go through the ticket booth and it's closer, but not sure how much closer.

With that many, I'd get there as early as possible and stop at the cinnamon bun place to eat, regroup, apply sunscreen, etc. Good luck!

(Compared to MK with the huge parking lot, tram and monorail to get there, I thought parking and walking to the Univ parks was a breeze, plus it's covered with moving sidewalks and happy music. There's an elevator right by the escalator if you happen to be on the lower deck.)
Snoopymom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-02-2006, 10:20 AM   #3
coastergirls
Mouseketeer

Prefered parking

I didn't think that the prefered parking took you any nearer to the parks. The only differenece I felt was that you were on the same floor as the walkways you didn't have to go down escalators or lifts. In fact sometimes felt we were further along that floor than if we had done non prefered and been a floor or 2 up.
There is another car park that brings you out onto the central area where the toilets are and it appeared nearer but still haven't figured out how you get into them.
You could always to Valet parking!!
coastergirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 10:29 AM   #4
Sylvester McBean
Foo Fighter

preferred parking isn't worth it. but like Snoopymom said, it's not bad at all. in the center court there's restrooms and a place to buy snacks or drinks on your way in or out.
Sylvester McBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 10:30 AM   #5
phamton
Proud Redhead
My husband is right...It is all about me!Shooting your own exhaust is like cheating at solitaire

DISboards Moderator

Valet parking gets you the closest.
phamton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 10:58 AM   #6
Motherfletcher
Proud Redhead
My username is an obscure line from Shrek 4-D

DH may be reluctant to this tip too. The earlier you get there the closer you you will be to the the walkway corridors (spokes) that lead to the hub, i.e. if you are the 4th car in line when they open the parking garage you will be parked 4 spaces away from the elevator. The parking garages contain over a million square feet of parking and the far corner of the parking garage can be very far from the elevator. I say elevator because you will be pushing strollers, there is also escalators and moving sidewalks. Phamton is right that valet is approximately a quarter mile closer. Syl McBean is right that preferred parking has no advantages.
Motherfletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 11:19 AM   #7
Tandyc
Disney brings out the kid in me!

Valet Parking

How much is it? How do you access it? What is the charge for regualr parking? Thanks for the info.

Tandyc
Old 03-02-2006, 11:40 AM   #8
Sylvester McBean
Foo Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandyc
How much is it? How do you access it? What is the charge for regualr parking? Thanks for the info.

Tandyc
regular parking is $9.00 per day before 6pm. valet parking is $16.00 plus tip. just follow the signs.
Sylvester McBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 12:51 PM   #9
MO Disney cruiser
DIS Veteran

I know this probably won't help, but the handicap parking is wonderful.
Old 03-03-2006, 01:56 PM   #10
robvia
DIS Veteran
Exit re-ride expert
Talks way too much
Ask me about my theme park attack plan!
Will have hots for Robinrs if she builds a B&M flyer

I have a few insider tips, these are legal. New people won't understand, but those who know the parking garage will.

The parking garage is like those found at airports. When you drive in, a person will direct you where to park. They start at the spot closest to the elevators, and then the cars fill a row before they start another. If you end up at the very end of a row, it's a far walk. If that happens, just wait 10 minutes for everyone else to park and walk past your car. Now pretend you forgot something like your wallet at the hotel room. Pull your car out, and head towards the exit. But wait, you just found it, ok, get back in line and park, this time much closer to the elevators in the new row.

If you leave the park, go back to your hotel, then come back later in the day, you'll end up at the very end of the parking garage. Ooops, you left your wallet in the hotel room again. Drive towards the exit, but wait, there's your wallet on the floor. Ok, just before the ramp leading down, there is a return to parking row. Take it, and there will be a bunch of empty spaces from people who have left for the day. Park, and you'll be right in front of the elevator near the atrium.

robvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 03:14 PM   #11
Mpet
Mouseketeer

Valet Parking sounds good. I've used preferred before, but it can still be quite a trek - even longer on the way back!

How does Valet Parking work? Is theremuch of a wait when you exit the parks to get your car back?

mpet
Mpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 06:16 PM   #12
challada
I believe in Pixie Dust!
Loves Sunday brunch at House of Blues
DREAM ME BABY

I don't remember valet parking...I do remember the preferred being a rip-off. Based on how the parking garage sits, it makes me think that the valet service must be offered in a different area all together than the parking structure....can someone spell out the valet parking for me?

ie...is it at the hotels? do I pull up to the standard parking hut and say "hey, will you valet park my car?"? is the $16 for the whole day?

thanks
c

The best years are Disney Years:
WDW 1973, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1984, 1987, 2001, 2006, 2010
Disneyland 1982, 1990, 1994, 1997, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2007, 2012, 2014
Disney Cruise 2005
challada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 06:42 PM   #13
lindalinda
Pull off the mattress and throw it on the floor!
Whats your starting point?
Got thru today without any controversy

there are separate signs that lead you to valet parking, you just follow them, its very easy. They put you at an escalator that takes you up to citywalk area, and its a very short walk in from there. After the park closes you may have a short wait ( It never bothered me) for your turn to get your car. I have done this several times, and as I get nervous when I dont know where I am going , trust me when I say its very simple to do. If I wasnt staying on-site I would do it every time.
Old 03-03-2006, 06:58 PM   #14
macraven
Proud Redhead
Has the longest test on record
I’m a Universal Homie

Location: between milwaukee and chicago (in Tom Felton's house)

if you have the handicap placard, show it to the attendant as you are directed to enter into the garage on the left.

or that how it was for me and less of a walk when i drove that one time.

macraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 10:17 PM   #15
A Mickeyfan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by robvia
I have a few insider tips, these are legal. New people won't understand, but those who know the parking garage will.

The parking garage is like those found at airports. When you drive in, a person will direct you where to park. They start at the spot closest to the elevators, and then the cars fill a row before they start another. If you end up at the very end of a row, it's a far walk. If that happens, just wait 10 minutes for everyone else to park and walk past your car. Now pretend you forgot something like your wallet at the hotel room. Pull your car out, and head towards the exit. But wait, you just found it, ok, get back in line and park, this time much closer to the elevators in the new row.

If you leave the park, go back to your hotel, then come back later in the day, you'll end up at the very end of the parking garage. Ooops, you left your wallet in the hotel room again. Drive towards the exit, but wait, there's your wallet on the floor. Ok, just before the ramp leading down, there is a return to parking row. Take it, and there will be a bunch of empty spaces from people who have left for the day. Park, and you'll be right in front of the elevator near the atrium.
I have done this.. not the one in the morning, but the one later in the day.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: